Saturday, January 18, 2014

The Struggle is Real!

I love food.

There.  I said it.  I love food.  I love eating food.  I love watching shows about food.  I love reading about food.  I love cooking food.

You'll tell me that I'm obsessed.  I'll tell you that the appropriate term is that I'm a foodie.   You'll say I have a food addiction.  I'll say....

You're right.  I AM addicted to food.  I use it to celebrate, to manage stress, to show love, to comfort myself or others, to feel in control of something...the list goes on.  Plus, God has apparently gifted me to cook and bake.  (I've even been paid to do that a few times.)  Surely this can't be a problem, right?

The scale and the mirror say, Yes.  It's a problem.

I was in the kitchen putting lunches together for my husband and me this week, carefully measuring out some crackers and feeling resentful that I had to be so judicious as to measure the amount I was placing into baggies.  "Nothing tastes as good as thin feels," I reminded myself. (This is the mantra I dutifully repeated at the end of Weight Watchers meetings more times than I care to count.)

That's when it hit me - and I know it was the Holy Spirit who brought this to light - I don't know what thin feels like.  I've struggled with my weight all of my life.  I've never, ever been close to anything that resembles thinness, so how can I know what good feelings come with being thin?  I can imagine how great that must feel, but I know for sure how terrific it feels to eat  ______________(fill in the blank) because I've experienced it.  I've never experienced being thin.

Recently a friend invited me to join an online Bible/book study with Proverbs 31 Ministries involving Lysa Terkeurst's Made to Crave.  This is not a diet book, but a study that helps women find their satisfaction in God rather than in food.  Written by someone who has walked this path ahead of us, there is an amazing vulnerability in Lysa's writing.  Here are some of the things I can look forward to in this study, as listed on the Proverbs 31 Ministries website (www.proverbs31.org):

-Break the cycle of “I’ll start again on Monday,” and feel good about yourself today.

-Stop agonizing over numbers on the scale and make peace with your body.
-Replace rationalization that leads to diet failure with wisdom that leads to victory.
-Reach your healthy goals and grow closer to God through the process.

I bought the book and signed up for the online study along with thousands of other women.  In a way, I find it sad that so many of God's daughters feel so awful about themselves because of their weight - but at the same time, I'm comforted by the thought that I am not alone in this.  And neither are you.  Maybe food isn't your thing.  Maybe you satisfy your cravings with other things - Facebook.  TV.  Shopping.  Alcohol.  Whatever it is, you were made to crave God, not stuff.  This study can help you, too.  Interested?  There's still time to join in!  Check it out here.


So there you have it.  I've gone public with my struggle.  If you see me eating something you don't think I should be eating, please avoid judging me.  Pray for me instead.  And know that My Father and I, we've got this.

6 comments:

  1. Here's the good news: "The Lord Jesus Christ...will transform our lowly bodies so that they will be like his glorious body. "(Philippians 3:20-21) And until then the good news is: Gen.27 "God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them." We are PERFECT just the way we are. And I LOVE people who can cook and love food too! It's a blessing for sure...some of us didn't get that gift. :) So stay true to yourself. I love your brownies and homemade goodies...keep em coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the reminder, Bethany! And thanks for being a willing "tester" of my kitchen creations....glad we get to do "work life" together!

      Delete
  2. Love your writing style and love your honesty!! Thanks for sharing and prayers for a successful study!!

    Kris Danko (OBS Team Leader/Blog Hop Team)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback, Kris! We're off to an exciting start!

      Delete
  3. Oh, you are being transparent as well... GOOD FOR YOU sister!
    I was reading another blog and she spoke of the change in eating habits and craving God - like all things of the Holy Spirit - need to come from the inside... and it reminded me of the Hillsong song we sand recently in choir... "From the Inside Out"
    I wanted to link it here but like with her blog, I was afraid it would think it was spam... look it up on youtube if you've never heard it... It spoke to me, from the inside where the Holy Spirit speaks
    Glad to find you here in this space... hope to read more and be enlightened as we "study" together
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so thankful for you! Your writing inspires! A long time ago we met, all because 2 teenagers thought we should! I am so thankful for there insight! I can't remember how long ago that was, but I will say that over the years, through the ups and downs, I am ever so grateful for the friendship that has grown and formed over those years. You are more than a friend, you are a sister, in many ways! Your writings inspire, encourage and help to empower! I am ready to face M2C with you! #craveGod!

    ReplyDelete