Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The day after

I feel compelled to address the tragic events that we witnessed yesterday in Boston.  For many of us, it brought back memories of 9/11 or Oklahoma City.  Sadly, the words "Boston Marathon Bombing" will soon become as commonplace in meaning.

The aftermath of tragedy brings both unimaginable sorrow and beauty.  "Beauty?" you say.  Yes - for it is in these most difficult times that we find a sort of unspoken understanding in our communities and as a nation.  As you left your house this morning, you probably waved at your neighbor, took the time to actually look into the barista's eyes as she handed you your morning coffee or let someone merge in front of you in traffic.  Days such as these find us living our lives a bit more kindly - and that is a thing of beauty.

Crisis drives me to cook.  When calamity strikes someone I know, my first question is usually, "Can I bring you some dinner?"  In stressful situations, cooking a meal is the last thing on someone's mind; and while I can't solve his or her problem, I can do something, the one thing that I know will mean one less thing to worry about.  Everyone needs to eat.  For me, food equals comfort.  It is the thing to which I run in times of stress, sadness, celebration.  I realize that can be problematic (yes, a story for another day), but it's how I've lived my life.  Preparing and sharing food means that I am sharing part of myself.  I guess you could say that it is one way that I show love.

You may not love to cook like I do.  But what is it that you like to do, that you could share with others?

"Small things done with great love will change the world."
-Mother Theresa

2 comments:

  1. Yes. Yet again we have witnessed senseless violence against our fellow citizens. But as you so aptly expressed, the beauty of our national heritage surfaces in times like these, and we stand a little taller when we pledge our allegiance to our nation's flag, and we have a deeper sense of that which we have in common. I'm so thankful God allowed me to be born in this country, and that he gave me a friend like you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes sister, you said it beautifully. I, also, remember how many times you have offered to bring me food - way out here in the boonies!

    Seeing the people of that city come together was amazing! Amazing, especially, since very few, if any, are born-again. If only the church would come together like that!

    ReplyDelete