Wednesday, April 24, 2013

I'm in love...with lemons

I seem to be developing a love affair with lemons.  Yep, lemons.  Growing up, the only lemon thing I liked was lemonade.  But the more I cook, the more I've learned that lemon just does something to a recipe, whether in cooking or baking.  Today I tried a new GF treat: berry oatmeal bars. The original recipe called for raspberry jam, but I had just been blessed with a jar of homemade blueberry jam and I thought it would be perfect sandwiched between layers of oats and butter.  (Note I said it was GF-gluten free - not fat free!)  When I checked my pantry I remembered that I was out of vanilla and just haven't made it to my favorite herb/spice store to replenish.  What to do, what to do?  So I tried pure lemon extract because I know blueberries and lemon are a good combination - the lemon brings out the sweetness of those blueberries - and the recipe already called for lemon zest.

I cannot even describe the aroma filling my home right now.

Side note here:  Two things on which you should never compromise in cooking: extracts and zest.  Always buy pure extract; yes, you'll pay a bit more but you'll use a little less and the flavor is worth it.  And if a recipe calls for lemon/lime/orange zest, don't skip that step!  (You can grate your citrus zest and freeze it in 1-tsp batches or in an ice cube tray; you don't even have to defrost it before you toss it in a recipe!)


On its own, lemon isn't really a star.  It is, well, let's be honest: it is a sour, acidic fruit.  Yet when you combine a lemon with other ingredients, something changes.   When mixed with oil and herbs, it becomes a dressing or marinade.  A squirt of lemon keeps apples, avocados and bananas from turning brown, and a slice adds brightness to an ordinary glass of water.  In the hands of a cook, a lemon becomes a catalyst for change to the flavors of a dish.

I don't know about you, but there are some "sour" things about me.  My attitude can be sour.  My mood can be sour.  My thoughts can be sour.  But if I allow it, these "sour" things can become a stimulus  for change.  In God's hands, my sour attitude becomes sweet as He teaches me to display the fruits of the Spirit in my life rather than the fruit of my flesh.  He gently points out my acidic tone with others; those times when my words cause the hearer to pucker from the taste - then skillfully combines that with His Word to render a conversation that brings healing and encouragement.

The next time you slice a lemon for your tea or to squeeze over a piece of fish, take a moment and ask God to take what is "sour" in your life and use it to change the flavor of your future.

3 comments:

  1. This is such good insight. Wow! You have really been given a gift.

    Now, I have to say it: YOU without vanilla? Never thought I'd hear that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Monica, you're right. But my planned trip to Penzeys last weekend went awry, so I'm still out! I could have used the beans I had, but I'm saving them to start making my own vanilla extract, I just don't have enough beans yet.....more to come......

      Delete
  2. Lemon bars . . . .love them! Thanks, as always, for a tasty blog post.

    ReplyDelete