Sunday, April 7, 2013

It's only the beginning...

If you are reading this, you are part of an exciting new journey!  I've contemplated blogging for some time, but it was only this week that I decided to take the plunge.  Inspired by my friend Michele (check out her blog here) and provoked by another friend who told me, "Blog, woman, blog!" - here I am.  Thanks for joining me.

Over time, you will learn more about me, but for now let me start with this.  I love to cook.  I love to bake.  I love being in the kitchen - and it is there, in the solitude of stirring, mixing, creating, that I often learn a lesson about life.  Or relationships.  Or about myself.  Is there something in your life that brings you those moments?  Just a couple of days ago I was steaming some eggs to enjoy throughout the week.  (Yes, I said "steaming," not boiling - turns out the best way to hard cook an egg is to steam it, then plunge it into cold water.)  Pulling each one from its icy bath, I tapped, cracked, and peeled to get to the good stuff: the smooth cooked egg.  Slice it, hit it with some sea salt & cracked pepper, yum! So I was careful to remove every bit of shell in order to avoid an unwanted crunch while gently handling the egg so it wouldn't break.

That's when it hit me.  In God's hands, I'm the egg.  When I allow Him, He removes every bit of my "crunchiness" - that hard shell exterior in which I sometimes encase myself for protection.   He knows that the "good stuff" is on the inside, and He must peel away the shell to expose it.  Peeling eggs is a process that cannot be rushed, or you'll break the egg.  In the same way, God takes His sweet time with us, tenderly removing the attitudes, mindsets, and behaviors that make us brittle and resistant to His use.  This peeling process is painful; it sometimes feels like something is tearing away rather than being gently peeled.  Painful, but necessary, if you and I are going to become the women God created us to be.

So what can you expect here?  A little something to think about or to encourage you, along with some practical kitchen tips thrown in occasionally for fun.  Stop by often - and invite your friends.  

2 comments:

  1. I hope you'll include recipes along the way too! And the first should be for your steamed eggs. So glad you're doing this. See...it didn't hurt too much, did it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Michele! It's super easy (the eggs, I mean). Put an inch or two of water in a saucepan, bring it to boiling. Put a vegetable steamer in the pot (or a small colander if you have a lid that will cover it) so it's hovering above the water, and gently put the eggs in the steamer. Put a lid on, steam for 16 minutes. Remove the eggs and immediately set them into an ice/cold water bath for three minutes. Perfectly cooked and ready to peel!

      Delete